Your garage door is one of the first things guests and strangers notice when they look at the exterior of your house. It may be prominent for different reasons, but it essentially reflects your unique taste and style.
Whether you’re replacing a broken or faulty garage door or upgrading your current one for added aesthetic appeal, you have countless options to choose from. Faux wood garage doors and real wood garage doors come in various designs and colors, giving you the freedom to personalize them as you please.
The challenge is deciding which is better suited to your needs. We’ll discuss the different features and the benefits of both to help you make an informed decision.
Table of Contents
- Faux Wood Garage Door Features
- Wood Garage Door Features
- Benefits of Faux Wood Garage Doors
- Benefits of Wood Garage Doors
- Additional Factors
- Which Is Right for You? Let AAA Garage Doors Help You Decide
Faux Wood Garage Door Features
You’d never know the difference if you see a faux wood garage door from afar. They look exactly like a wood garage door. The only way you’d be able to tell them apart is by knocking on their surface. Wood-like garage doors resemble real ones but are made of materials like fiberglass, steel and aluminum. Each of these materials makes a distinct sound that will reveal the true nature of the faux wood door. The external layer is made of a blend of real timber, softwood and other wood compounds to give it a natural look.
Wood Garage Door Features
Real wood garage doors are exquisite and unmatched in beauty, though they can easily be mistaken for faux wood garage doors. Most are manufactured using layers of hardwood rather than traditional solid wood. The one thing that sets them apart from faux wood is the texture and color variation of real wood, which is something that cannot be replicated. The grains and patterns in real wood add depth and character that distinguishes it from wood-like garage doors.
You’re also able to install custom wooden garage doors by choosing from an array of different wood types like oak, mahogany, cedar and reclaimed wood. You can add panels, frames and windows that highlight its uniqueness and charm to add your desired personal touch.
Benefits of Faux Wood Garage Doors
Depending on what you have in mind, the benefits of faux wood doors could make it hard for you to choose. There are a few things to consider:
- Cost and value: Wood substitutes cost less to manufacture, purchase and install, depending on your desired material. Aluminum is generally cheaper than the rest and offers value for money since it is exceptionally resistant to rust and corrosion. Adding insulation will increase the value as it helps regulate your home’s temperature while reducing energy bills.
- Appearance: There is almost no distinction between faux wood and real wood garages. Therefore its appearance and curb appeal are equally attractive to its solid wood counterpart.
- Weight: Lifting an aluminum or fiberglass garage door versus a real wood door requires less effort since the wood-like alternative is made of lighter material. This also means the opener will experience less strain when opening and closing, ensuring it operates optimally for longer.
- Maintenance: Maintenance is kept to a minimum with a faux wood door because the material used is able to withstand elements that lead to warping, fading, cracking and rotting. Routine maintenance is still required, although less frequently.
- Durability: Materials like steel are known for their durability against the destructive effects of strong wind, rain and other weather elements.
- Life span: Faux wood garage doors can last decades if maintained well, which adds to their value since they are less costly than wood doors.
These faux wood garage door pros certainly make choosing that much harder.
Benefits of Wood Garage Doors
Considering the same factors when deciding on wood vs. faux wood garage doors indicates your choice. These include:
- Cost and value: Real wood doors are costly, especially if you opt for solid wood like oak or cedar. Customizing it with panels, windows and other features will increase the installation cost. The upside is that you will enjoy a tailored garage door like no other. As with faux wood doors, insulating your wood door will increase your home’s value.
- Appearance: Despite being hard to differentiate from wood-like garage doors, real wood doors have inherent qualities that enhance their beauty and style. This can’t be achieved in any other way than by using natural wood, adding unparalleled curbside appeal and elegance.
- Maintenance: Your wood door is more likely to undergo regular maintenance because wood is prone to water damage, cracking, rotting and chipping over time and under harsh conditions. Maintenance includes lubricating moving parts, balancing the door properly and checking that the auto-reverse feature is functional. Regardless of whether it is a wood-like or real wood door, keeping your hand on your garage door ensures its longevity and safety for those who use it.
- Durability: Wood in itself is durable in nature, so it should withstand extreme weather for an extended period.
- Life span: A real wood garage door is expected to last up to 30 years if it is well-maintained. However, its organic nature leaves it predisposed to wear and tear over time, which could mean replacing it sooner than later. However, this should not deter you if you are leaning towards a wood garage door.
Given the substantial benefits, the wood garage door pros listed may not make your decision any easier.
While the benefits mentioned before might affect your decision to choose one or the other, there are a few other considerations to bear in mind that may be helpful. They are:
- Climate: While we may experience mid-to-hot weather in the Nebraskan summer with high levels of humidity, winters get extremely cold, with temperatures dwindling in the negative perimeter. Be mindful of this when installing a wood vs faux garage door. Consider the advantages of each in terms of durability and maintenance.
- Increased home value: If you upgrade or replace your garage door, your home’s value will likely increase if you decide to sell. An aesthetically appealing door will certainly secure a higher return on investment, especially if it offers additional benefits.
- Eco-friendliness: If you are conscientious about the environment and ways to keep it safe, you would probably opt for a wood garage door. It is an eco-friendly alternative to materials like steel and aluminum.
These additional points may be the ultimate deciding factor between choosing to install a faux garage door or a real wood garage door. It all comes down to your personal requirements, budget, preferences and specific needs.
Which Is Right for You? Let AAA Garage Doors Help You Decide
Whether you opt for a wood vs faux wood garage door, we have everything you need to perfect your home with the ideal door. If you’re still unsure, our door imagination system will give you a visual aid to show you exactly how each door you try will suit your home. All you need to do is upload a picture of your house to give you an accurate representation.
What are you waiting for? Submit a contact request form, and we’ll get in touch with you shortly.