Garage Door Conversion Options
Jump To: Single to Double Conversion | Double to Single Conversion
Do you have a double garage door that you’d like to convert to two single garage doors? Or maybe you have two single garage doors you’d like to remodel into one double door. We have both conversions outlined no matter what garage door type you’re looking for.
Our professional service technicians at AAA Garage Door have experience converting two garage doors into one and can remove or add a central garage pillar to make space for your new door. Below we share some insights from our conversion experience:
Single to Double Garage Door Conversion
Converting two single garage doors into one double-sized garage door can be an investment for many families and businesses, but it is well worth it. Many double-sized garages are fitted with two separate doors, independent of each other, so that just one can be opened at a time.
Two single doors are typical of more traditional builds, as they were introduced when cars were smaller and could squeeze between the gap. Today, modern cars tend to be larger, and many people are now looking to convert their two single garage doors into one double garage door.
When considering converting two single garage doors into a double, it is essential to know the advantages so that you can make the best decision based on your lifestyle and budget.
How to Convert Two Single Garage Doors to a Double Door
The process of converting two single garage doors into one double door consists of the following steps:
- Take measurements of the garage.
- Select a replacement double garage door.
- Perform garage pillar removal and discard the two single garage doors.
- Install a new double door.
- Add the final touches.
Benefits of Double Garage Doors
There are many benefits to having a double garage door, including:
- Allows for wider vehicles to enter: The space created by converting two single garage doors into a larger double door is great for parking sizable vehicles. One larger double door can also be a way of providing the drivers at your home or business with peace of mind. Drivers will have more wiggle room when backing into or pulling up to the garage and easily avoid scratches and dents.
- Provides additional walking space: Converting two single garage doors into one double door provides more walk-around room. Those exiting or entering the garage can more comfortably walk around stored items or vehicles.
- Updates the appearance: One double garage door can make the entire front of your home appear larger and help tie together its overall appearance. Whether you’re looking to sell your home or not, a newly installed double garage door increases your home’s value.
- Easier to maintain than two doors and two openers: Maintaining one double garage door is easier and more convenient than keeping up with two.
- Provides improved accessibility: For wheelchair users or the elderly, having the extra space is crucial for getting into and out of the car with ease.
- Streamlined operation: With one double garage door, you can operate the entire system with a single remote. This streamlines the exit and entry process and removes the clutter of multiple door remotes.
Double to Single Garage Door Conversion
If the thought of a double to single garage door conversion is intriguing to you, we recommend that your garage be at least 22 feet wide. This will give you ample space to get into and out of your vehicle comfortably. A double to single garage door conversion will grant you total control over how much of your garage’s interior is exposed to the outside.
How to Convert a Double Garage Door to Two Single Doors
Converting one double door to two single doors includes a sequence of steps similar to a single to double garage door conversion:
- Take measurements of your garage.
- Choose two replacement single garage doors.
- Add a garage pillar to divide both sections.
- Install two new single garage doors.
- Add the final touches.
Benefits of Single Garage Doors
The advantages of converting one double garage door to two include:
- Reduce your heating bill and air conditioning costs: If you live in a cold climate, two single garage doors can lessen the amount of cold air that flows into the garage, reducing your heating bill. Two separate doors can also inhibit the humidity that enters your garage, significantly lowering your air conditioning costs.
- Have a backup plan in the case of a malfunction: If you opt for two single doors, you’ll be able to get one of your cars out of the garage in the case of a breakdown, such as torsion spring failure.
- Enhance the appearance of your home: While some homeowners prefer the streamlined appearance of one double garage door, others believe that two single garage doors better enhance the overall architectural design of their home.
Trust AAA Garage Door for Your Garage Door Conversion Needs
If you own a home or business in the Omaha, Nebraska area or its surrounding communities and you need to convert your double or single garage door, reach out to the trained technicians from AAA Garage Door. We specialize in garage door conversions for any door type.
As a locally-owned company with over 25 years of experience, we care about improving people’s businesses and homes. We’ve repaired all types of commercial and residential garage doors throughout the years and will help you find a garage door you love within your budget. Our team of highly skilled technicians makes high-quality products and superior service our priorities.
Get in touch with our garage door experts to find out more about how we can help with your double garage door conversion project.