A Helpful Guide for Omaha Residents for Keeping Older Overhead Doors in Top-Notch Condition
Overhead garage doors aren’t made to last forever, but adhering to a regular maintenance schedule can certainly help prolong their life. This helpful checklist includes tips as simple as regular lubrication of mechanical garage door parts to keep them working smoothly – to more in-depth attention to the springs, hinges, and rollers – to keeping the remote controllers and sensors in proper working order.
AAA Garage Door, Inc. can take the worry out of overhead garage door maintenance by coming on a regular schedule to inspect and remedy problems before they even occur. In between regular visits from our professional team of garage door services experts, here are some things you should add to your checklist and keep an eye on:
- Inspect your overhead garage door and make sure the emergency cord is both present and in working order. In the event of a power outage, you’ll need this feature working well so you can bypass the power-equipped features and open or close your door.
- If your garage door should become dented or damaged (as in a direct hit from a vehicle or some other object), you should make a careful assessment to be sure the door’s operation hasn’t been affected. AAA Garage Door, Inc. has a wide variety of garage door parts available to repair even the smallest issues. Rollers that are not moving freely or a door that may have become bent can cause wear on your residential garage door and do real, long-term damage if left unrepaired.
- Take a look at the joints between the sections of your door. If you can see daylight through these joints when the door is down, or if there are gaps or the sections appear misaligned, your Omaha garage door definitely isn’t weather-tight. You are losing valuable heating and cooling through your overhead door.
- Find the springs and examine them with a critical eye. But, don’t get too close if they appear broken, worn or rusted; it’s just a matter of time before one can break, causing frustration and inconvenience, not to mention potential injury. Replacing the garage door parts, i.e. springs, is dangerous if you don’t have the right tools and experience. If they look worn at all, it’s best to call in the garage door service experts in Omaha, AAA Garage Door, Inc.
- Inspect the hinges on your residential garage door. If you see anything bent or twisted, or if there are loose or missing screws, further attention is required.
- How do the rollers look? If any are broken or worn, or if they don’t roll freely in the tracks, they are likely ready for replacement.
- Test the mechanical safety reverse system if you have an automatic garage door opener installed. Place an object like a piece of wood on the door’s threshold and try to close the door using your remote controller. The door should go back up immediately when it comes in contact with the wood object. If not, it isn’t safe for your family or pets and will not prevent accidental entrapment or injury. This needs to be fixed right away.
- Test the photoelectric safety system on your commercial overhead garage door. These are the “electric eyes” on each side of the door that should prevent your door from closing if an object breaks the safety beam. These can sometimes get misaligned or bent, rendering them ineffective in doing their important job.
- Don’t forget to take a look at the wall control unit and test the open/close functions. For the remote controllers themselves, change the batteries at least once a year and test to be sure they still connect properly with the door opener antenna.
- Lubrication of all the metal garage door parts and opener should be completed every six months. Before and after the winter season are ideal times.
Some Garage Door Repairs Require Expert Service. Call AAA Garage Door, Inc. at (402) 727-0789
If you keep an eye on these simple things, your Omaha residential garage door, even older doors, can perform better longer. Most important, completing the simple inspections and regular maintenance details on this checklist can give you the peace of mind that your garage door is both safe and reliable.
AAA Garage Door, Inc. is the Omaha expert for everything from garage door parts, simple repairs, regular maintenance, and inspection, to total replacement. When you see an issue, don’t wait! Call us at (402) 727-0789.
Last Reviewed By Felipe Pinales on September 28th, 2020