7 Things to Consider When Deciding on a Garage Door
Replacing a garage door is not an annual or even biannual investment. Instead, garage doors are designed to last for years on end and are expected to be in use for anywhere from 15 to 30 years. This means you may be unfamiliar with what to look for and consider when searching for a replacement. From material to insulation, there is a lot to keep in mind when finding the perfect fit for your home.
To help you make a better-educated decision, we compiled a list of seven things to consider when deciding on a new garage door. Keep reading to learn more.
Is It Time to Replace or Buy a New Garage Door?
A garage door opens 1,500 times on average every year. Because they are used so frequently, they endure a great amount of wear and tear that impacts their functionality.
Signs it is time to buy a new garage door:
- Dents and damages: Having a dinged-up garage door can be more than a cosmetic issue. Cracks and rotting in the panels of a door can negatively affect everything from insulation to functionality.
- Age: How long a garage door will last depends on maintenance, use, and other factors. It is generally suggested to replace your garage doors after about 15 years.
- Mechanical issues: When your garage door breaks down repeatedly, consider buying a replacement. If sensors fail to work or your door is crooked, it is likely time for something new.
- Inefficient: If your garage door is not insulated or it is inefficient in some way, you may want to explore other options that will save you money on energy costs.
- Noises: A garage door should not wake up the neighborhood when it is opened and closed. If your door repeatedly makes strange noises, it is likely time to start looking for a garage door replacement.
- Style: A garage door contributes to the curb appeal and the overall design of a house. If your garage door looks outdated, it may be time for a new one.
7 Things to Consider When Deciding on a New Garage Door
Before making a purchase for your new garage door, review the following factors that will impact your choice!
1. Security and Door Openers
For homeowners, having a secure garage door is especially important. A secure garage door will keep out unwanted visitors like wild animals and thieves. Having a door opener is a great convenience, but choosing the right one can be confusing.
For optimal protection, find an opener that works with a rolling code. These are harder for hackers to figure out and provide an extra level of security.
Garage doors are heavy and involve machinery that can be dangerous if the door is not operating properly. A malfunction or safety concern may be your reason for searching for a new garage door.
There are a few safety-related features to consider while shopping. Having properly functioning sensors is crucial since these need to be properly aligned to operate and they reduce accidents by sensing people and pets below the door, keeping it from closing on them.
Before buying, consider what material or materials you want your new garage door to be made from as this will affect other factors like price and style. There are some common materials including:
- Wood composites
The material you choose will require different levels of maintenance. Your garage door’s materials will also impact how long the door will last before needing a replacement. For example, natural wood doors require a lot more maintenance than steel doors.
Something you may overlook when considering a new garage door is insulation. Having insulated garage doors helps save energy by keeping the garage warmer. The two materials used by manufacturers for insulation are polyurethane or polystyrene. Doors with polyurethane are rated by R-values in which the highest value is the best insulation. This rating system starts at 6.3 and goes through 20.4. The higher values are also related to higher savings on energy.
5. Price Point
For most homeowners, a garage door is an investment expected to last for years. There are a few factors that should be considered that will impact the price point. These factors include:
- Material: The price will change depending on the door’s composition. Fiberglass and steel, for example, are typically cheaper than natural wood models.
- Insulation: Choosing an insulated door will add costs. Each layer of insulation will contribute to higher prices.
- Style: Different style garage doors will cost different amounts of money, whether it is an aesthetic or mechanical difference.
- Technology: Any door opener or other technology you decide to pair with your new garage door will cost you more, but can be– worth the extra money for security and convenience.
- Installation fees: When choosing the perfect garage door for your home, do not forget to factor in installation costs because having your door professionally installed is always preferable.
The style of garage door you choose will likely depend on the design style of your home. When it comes to the looks of the doors, everyone has a personal preference and taste. Consider the different types of doors and how they function as well before landing on a model. There are a few choices including:
- Roll-up: This type of door includes several smaller parts connected to one larger unit that rolls overhead into the garage to open the door.
- Tilt-up: In a single panel, this type of door opens and closes in one piece with a ceiling-mounted track.
- Sectional: Similar to a roll-up door, this style typically has three or four panels linked by hinges.
7. Professional Installation
Having your garage door professionally installed is always suggested. A garage door needs to be safely positioned and installed to lessen the chances of injury and malfunction. Professionals not only have the experience to properly install the door, but they also have the right tools for the job. Oftentimes, warranties for garage doors require them to be professionally installed.
Other Resources For Garage Door Buyers
- How Much Value Does a New Garage Door Add?
- 4 Benefits of a New Garage Door
- How to Choose The Right Garage Style?
- Garage Door Replacement Services
Get Your New Garage Door From AAA Garage Door
Deciding on the right garage door for your home can feel a bit overwhelming without any guidance. Finding the perfect fit for your needs and preferences can be easier with this list of seven things to consider when deciding on a new garage door.
If you are in the market for a replacement garage door, AAA Garage Door can help. Equipped with over 25 years of experience and a customer-driven approach, we can provide you with high-quality products and installation services.
Request an estimate for a new garage door from AAA Garage Door today!
Value, Costs, & Benefits of Adding A New Garage Door To Your Home
Compared to the cost of some other home improvement projects, garage door replacement is a relatively quick and affordable way to be certain your home stands out among all the others and can even increase its resale value when it comes time to sell your home.
After all, the garage door is one of the first things potential buyers notice when looking at the front of your home, and if the overhead door is in ill repair or appears to be old, outdated or no longer in style, it can turn buyers away before they ever see what’s inside. Continue reading to learn what major studies have shown about the return on investment of garage door replacement.
70 Percent of Realtors Agree: A New Garage Door Can Help Sell Your Home
Remodeling magazine’s 2019 Cost vs. Value report has consistently identified upscale garage door replacement, especially for upscale homes, to pay off handsomely in terms of both curb appeal and resale value. Selecting a new overhead door that matches the price point, and architectural style for the home is an important consideration, they add.
Clopay partnered with an independent research firm to conduct nationwide research around realtors’ perceptions of garage doors as a worthwhile investment for homeowners before listing a residence for sale. The results overwhelmingly supported the return on investment of overhead garage door replacement with 70 percent of realtors agreeing that a new garage door helps sell a home faster. Over 80 percent acknowledged that a new overhead door could impact the value of your home.
A New Overhead Garage Door Can Increase the Potential Selling Price of Your Home by 4%
Another interesting point of the study was found when realtors were asked to provide an estimated listing price for several homes featured in “before and after” garage door installations ranging from inexpensive replacements to high-end upgrades. Knowing that the only difference in the images they saw was the garage door, the findings pointed to realtors assigning selling prices as much as 4 percent higher to homes with new garage doors. With the average U.S. home price estimated at $206,300 in 2017, this could add up to an increase of between $8,000 and $14,000 to a home’s selling price just by investing in a new or upgraded overhead garage door prior to listing.
Should you replace your garage door if you’re selling your home?
If you’re in the process of renovating your home in hopes to increase its selling price then garage door replacement has the best ROI out of any other home improvement project. It instantly increases your home’s curb appeal, especially when you choose the right residential garage door style. It’ll save you money in the long run and it won’t take long at all for a professional garage door company to install a new garage door. Lastly, make sure to choose a high-quality garage door company when deciding on your door. Most realtors will be able to identify and notify their clients if a low-quality door was thrown upon a house to try and increase its value.
View Our Residential Garage Door Styles
Other Benefits of A New Garage Door
It’s true that a new garage door is known to add resale value, but its replacement can do much more than increase the bottom line sales price of your home.
1. Add A Reliable Barrier of Security with a New Overhead Door
Additionally, consider the value that your residential garage door has as a primary security barrier, keeping you and your family safe. Some older garage doors don’t have the security features that newer overhead doors offer from tamper-proof mechanisms and openers to tight-fitting seals and quality construction.
2. Having a Safe, Functional Garage Door is Invaluable
Value is also found in having a residential garage door that works optimally to minimize the risk of accidental injury. As overhead doors age, the parts that are continually under pressure weaken and become potential hazards to anyone operating or near your Omaha garage door. Openers that have worn or non-functioning electronic sensors pose potential crush risks and should be replaced with updated, working technology for the mere fact they can be very dangerous for you and your family.
3. Save Money with Increased Energy Efficiency
Also, what about the value that comes from energy efficiency? New overhead garage doors, including those available right here in Omaha from AAA Garage Door, Inc., can help save on heating and cooling costs. With a variety of options, insulation values, garage door materials, and styles, you’ll save money from day one when you replace your aging door with a new, energy-efficient Omaha garage door from AAA Garage Door, Inc. and Clopay.
AAA Garage Doors Offers High-Quality, Energy-Efficient Clopay Garage Doors.
Selecting high-quality and energy-efficient options like Clopay, available in Omaha from AAA Garage Door, Inc., homeowners can enjoy both style and function all while increasing the value of their home.
Call AAA Garage Doors, Inc. at (402) 727-0789 to talk about the many ways a new overhead door could increase the ROI of your future home’s sale. With a wide variety of styles and price points, Clopay is designed and manufactured in the USA and is the only garage door manufacturer backed by the Good Housekeeping Seal, a market of exceptional quality and reliability.