The convenience of YouTube and online tutorials has made each of us more willing to attempt simple do-it-yourself repairs on our own. While it is one thing to attempt a home repair like replacing a doorbell, it is quite another to take a DIY approach to overhead garage door services and repairs.
On the surface, repairing or replacing a garage door seems pretty straightforward, but without the proper experience and tools, this seemingly simple home repair can turn into a dangerous proposition. Here are a few reasons to keep in mind before you attempt any overhead door repair or replacement on your own:
5 Reasons Why DIY Door Repair Is Dangerous
- A garage door that isn’t working correctly can be unpredictable. A broken tension spring can cause the door to fall abruptly; or, a spring or cable under thousands of pounds of pressure can suddenly give way injuring anyone in its path.
- You need the proper tools to repair a garage door and if you don’t have the exact specifications for your door it might be more expensive to buy them than to get a professionals’ help.
- Garage doors are very heavy and if you don’t have at least 3 people helping to lift it you will struggle.
- To maintain a tight seal, the various components of your garage door must move up and down. Calibrating the system to work together seamlessly is challenging and can cause a door to fail if not properly reset.
- Need parts? If you aren’t a licensed professional in overhead garage door services and repair, it can be hard to locate replacement parts, especially for older doors.
Still not convinced? Already have your buddies lined up to come over and watch the game while you repair the garage door? While you can find repair and installation guides online and friends who are up to taking on the challenge, it really isn’t a wise idea.
Installing or repairing a garage door without complications or injury requires specialized tools to align all systems properly. And, if you are putting in a brand new door, most manufacturers will refuse to honor the warranty if it isn’t installed by a professional.
When you consider the time it will take to accomplish DIY garage door repair or replacement and the cost of the specialized tools you’ll need to get the job done (if you can find them), it is always a better choice to call in the experts.
More Garage Door Maintenance Resources
- How to make your garage door last longer
- Signs your door is in need of repair
- Common garage door problems to look out for
- A guide to broken garage door springs
Professional Garage Door Repair in Omaha Nebraska
There are no online videos that can ensure your safety while you install a garage door on your own. The risks of injury and death from the high-tension springs and many working components are just too significant.
Located in Omaha, Fremont, or the surrounding area? Call AAA Garage Door, Inc. today at (402) 727-0789 for professional garage door repair. Our technicians have years of experience troubleshooting and repairing residential or commercial garage doors. Don’t put yourself in danger and call the professionals for a quick and painless repair! Read more about our certified garage technicians here.